Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

TFW CH 8 Patrick Til-Bury






This Disorder   by The Features 






A pale face leaned out of the window of the big truck and shouted, “What is going on?”


Glinty raised his pistol back up and whispered, “Someone is trying to steal your vehicle.”


I put my hand up and said, “No!  That’s his own truck. We stole both him and his truck.  His name is Patrick.  He’s kinda banged up.”  I nodded at Joey.


Joey said, “Yeah, I pulled him out of his ride, dude.  He’s taken a bump to the head.  He ain’t quite right at the moment.”


Glinty put his Colt .44 back down into its holster and said, “Seems to be a lot of that going on.”


Tellesco turned to him and said, “That’s like Sean!  He had a bandage on his head, and I drove him to the hospital in that hearse.”


Glinty looked back at him.  He put a finger up and itched the eye that wasn’t there anymore.  His finger went into the socket and rubbed around in there.  He said, “What happened to that hearse?  I can’t seem to locate its whereabouts.”


Tellesco pointed at me and said, “Mr. Will.  He drowned it in my swimming pool!”



Glinty pulled out a small stone and examined it with his eye.  Then he flicked it away.  “This true?”


I said, “Yup.  Seemed fitting.  Drown it in the desert.”



Glinty tilted his head back and laughed big.  His preacher’s hat fell off and he just kept on laughing loud.  I didn’t know what to make of it.  I thought he might be laughing at me, but I didn’t care.  I hated that hearse and the one who owned it.


Glinty settled down a bit and spat out a clam.  He said, “Drowned in the desert.  Hehehe…  ‘Seemed fitting,’ you said.  Hehehe…  Yessiree, I guess that about sums it up.  Well done, m’boy.”  He clapped my shoulder.


That didn’t answer anything, but he was walking away from us to the white utility truck.  I looked around at the faces of the others and I could see they had no clue either.  So I turned and followed Glinty, and the others followed suit.


Patrick shrank back from the window as the old cowboy closed in on him.  He shouted out, “Hey!  Who’s that guy in the Hallowe’en costume?”


I shouted back, “Nothing to be afraid of.  Just ghost preacher.  He’s gonna help us.”  Yeah, I was an asshole like that.  Sorry about that.

Glinty strolled around the big truck and inspected it.  He saw the front was all dented up, but still intact.  The huge guardrail bolted into the front end had taken a beating, but it was still solid and attached to the chassis.  He walked along the passenger side and hopped up on the door step.  He peered in and said, “BOO.”  Yeah, he was a bit of an asshole, too.  No apologies, baby.

Patrick screamed and was quiet again.  Probably fainted, poor bastard.


Glinty climbed back down and resumed his stroll.  He examined the panels and opened each of them up, one at a time, to look at their contents.  He whistled, like a watery breath from a grave.  He said, “You boys have a lot of wonderful tools at your disposal.  Most of these I don’t know what in the hell they for, but they look to be well made.  Very well made.”


Then he reached the back, and saw the bucket and arm, attached to the lift at the middle of the bed.  He turned back to me and said, “Is this some sort of fancy elevator?”


I nodded.  “It’s a man-lift.  It can get up pretty high.  Controls here and in the bucket.”


Glinty smiled, and reminded me that he had no teeth.  Those had followed his eyeball, an hundred years ago.  I got the creepy crawlies again.  Blecch.


He went to the other side and opened and closed more panels.  He turned around to face us all.  He said, “Well, this sure is one blessed event.  You have tools here that can make for weapons.  But we ain’t got much time to go practicing what they can do.  That red moon is heading for the western range way off yonder.  I figure we got ninety minutes to hide this vehicle while under the cover of the dark.”

I looked back up at him.  “Then what?”


He smiled again.  Blecch.  He nodded at the Sans Joaquin range behind us, to the east.  He said, “Then the sun will be up and about, and the shit is gonna hit the fan.  We have to find that boy with the missing part in his head.  Someone else come to town, and he wrong in the head, too, so to speak.  He needs to be set straight.  All these Purple Robes folks, well, I got a beef to settle with them.”


Tellesco said, “ We gonna go save Sean?”


Glinty nodded.  “First we gotta find him.  He’s out there right now, doing some very bad things.  But he ain’t at the reins.  He ain’t driving the herd.  He’s locked away in his own head.”


Tellesco began to weep.  Glinty came over to him and put a dusty old hand on his shoulder.  He said, “Now don’t you worry, young fella.  You go ahead and get your eyes wet all you like.  But I promise you, we will be doing our best to save that boy.  We have to.”


I didn’t know what that meant, but had another, more pressing concern.  I said, “Uh, Glinty, how the hell are we going to do that?  We don’t even know who our enemy is!”


Glinty nodded.  He said, “Neither do I.  but you can be sure of one thing.  He will make his presence known.  There will be no denying that.  You see, the enemy has been infected by a cannibal.  He’s gonna eat them up from the inside.”

He was talking about Sven Slindlivrenn, but none of knew who was that at that moment.



We just felt like we were in the dark about the whole thing.





Where Will We Go   by Iamdynamite 







.

No comments: